I never could have imagined the experiences, challenges and rewards that come along with the title and responsibility of being "Mom". Everyday my little ones present different needs to be met, new attitudes to understand, stages to conquer, and find new ways to unravel my patience. Despite the challenges, the rewards that come from a genuine I love you mom, a moment of 3 children happily playing together, and even a simple accomplishment bring feelings and emotions that words can't describe. I am ever so grateful for my Precious Little Ones; for their individuality, talents, and the completeness each one contributes to the Cox Clan.

December 16, 2008

Poor Jalen




Sunday night I sent Alan with the kids to finish delivering some Christmas presents. After only a few minutes, Madelyn and Mason came running home crying and upset, letting me know that Jalen got bit by our neighbors dog. I didn't get to0 excited, because the kids can be a little dramatic. Then Alan came walking in holding Jalen and very calmly said, "Yes, Jalen got bit and he's going to need a couple stitches." I still wasn't too alarmed until Jalen looked up at me and I saw two gaping holes from the bottom of his upper lip to his nose. It was more than just a little cut! He looked like he had a cleft lip and it barely missed going all the way through. That's when I panicked. I just couldn't believe this had happened. With very crapy health insurance and not knowing where we could even take Jalen and get somewhat coverage, I was upset. Not only was it Sunday, the fact that we were trying to do a good deed by taking a gift to our neighbors, but also we had just come home from tithing settlements! Sometimes don't you feel like despite trying to do everything right, things can still go very wrong? Four hours, 10 stitches later and a dose of humility, changed my perspective. After getting Jalen home and in bed, all night I thought of the many other things that could happen that would be so much worse. Jalen was going to be fine. At least it was a small dog and the cut wasn't any worse; at least we have good doctors and antibiotics that can fix the problem; it's a blessing the dog was immunized and our neighbors are so concerned about Jalen too. I guess I've learned that we are just never in the clear...life is going to continually throw challenges and all we can do is make the best of them. Most important is that Jalen really is just fine. And as for the dog, well Jalen thinks he needs soap in his mouth!

10 comments:

Shannon said...

Oh my!!! I am so sorry!!! Poor Jalen! Please let me know if I can do anything. I bet that was scary for you all.....

He is a tough guy!!!

alison said...

It looked like he was trying to give the camera a smile. What a nightmare! I can't even imagine seeing that lip after it happened. It sounded like you were nice about the dog. I'd probably be #1 asking for them to pay for the stitches and #2 asking them to get rid of their dog. I bet some dog lovers are going to send me some hate mail.

That really did look painful!

Jesmyluk said...

Oh my poor poor Jalen!!!! What kind of dog would bite my Jalen?!?!?! Poor baby he looks so sad and he sounds like he was such a brave boy!! What a mean dog!! I am with the last person who posted a comment, doggy needs to go buh-bye!

However, I love that Jalen thinks it should get its mouth washed out with soap! He is so precious! Give him a hug from his teacher and get that boy some ice cream!!!! After everything he went thru he deserves at least that! Don't worry I got your back Jalen. ;0)

The Bluths said...

Oh goodness! That is one fat lip! I can't believe it took 10 stitches! Why did the dog bite him? Funny his last comment. You're so good to look on the bright side of things.

mindy said...

It's a wonder how we get through those scary moments. I hope he is feeling a little better.

Kevin keeps telling Owen that scars are cool. Is Jalen self consious about it or anything? Owen was afraid people would laugh at his eye, but his friends really did think it was cool. (I'm referring to the 8 stitches he got near his eye back in september). I wonder if Jalen will be afraid of dogs forever now...poor guy!

peterson said...

Poor Jalen! That looks painful! We are glad that he is ok, but I feel bad that you guys had plans for your anniversay and aren't able to go because of this incident! I'm so sorry.

Unknown said...

Nice family picture! It is good to hear from you guys.

Shannon Morgan Photography - Bainbridge Island, WA Photographer said...

that dog needs more than soap in his mouth!! that is awful!! i would have freaked. i am glad he is ok!! poor baby!!

Nicole said...

That is so scary! I hope the neighbors are more cautious when people come to the dorr now! Glad to hear is ok, but nothing is more scary for a mom, than seeing their child hurt.

Rhett and Tiffanie Jackson said...

ouch...he looked good though when you were here.