I never could have imagined the experiences, challenges and rewards that come along with the title and responsibility of being "Mom". Everyday my little ones present different needs to be met, new attitudes to understand, stages to conquer, and find new ways to unravel my patience. Despite the challenges, the rewards that come from a genuine I love you mom, a moment of 3 children happily playing together, and even a simple accomplishment bring feelings and emotions that words can't describe. I am ever so grateful for my Precious Little Ones; for their individuality, talents, and the completeness each one contributes to the Cox Clan.

August 9, 2009

4th of July Festivities

One of my most favorite times of the year is the excitment and festivities during the 4th of July celebration in my hometown, Gunnison, Utah. The events begin the night of the 3rd with a big dinner, aution, entertainment, and fireworks. This year's excitment included Merril Osmond's performance and a dirt bike show put on by a local boy who has made it big in dirt bike racing/tricks. The boys were so amazed to see kids doing flips and stunts off their motorbikes. (Sorry no pics...camera battery was dead!)
The day of the 4th is enjoyed with a big parade, many activities for the kids, car show, volleyball and horseshoe tournaments and lots of catching up with friends and family.
Enjoying the parade
We recently went to a parade in Surprise and got a big kick out of the Senior Dancers with their batons and sequen outfits...something that you would only find near Sun City. Well in central Utah, we saw more of the country style entries...
Rex Brown and his HUGE cow!


And then a reindeer.

And Jalen's favorite...a HUGE dumptruck!


Here's my cousin Randon who has taken over Grandpa's and then hid dad, Kent's job as the train driver during the parade.



Usually, the riders are young children, but Parker and Tanner just couldn't resist!



The Dyreng family enjoying the parade



More cousins...Trevor, Connor and Taylor



We Love the Red, White and Blue!!





The Gunnison 4th of July Celebration is a huge success only because this small community is full of people so willing to serve and spend countless hours organizing, planning and making the festivities possible. All growing up, I watched my parents and grandparents take on many responsibilities...running the cotton candy or snow cone machine, dime toss, go-cart track, and whatever else was needed of them. One thing for sure, my Grandpa Jack could always be found cooking hamburgers. Even now at 81 years old, Grandpa still is doing the cooking. This year he had a new recruit...my brother Travis!

My dad helping with the BBQ, too!

3 comments:

Shannon Morgan Photography - Bainbridge Island, WA Photographer said...

looks like so much fun!! and a week at grandmas?? that is so wonderful, you deserve it!!

The Bluths said...

I have to tell you that Jaylen just cracked me up on Sunday. He was so tired and while we were singing I saw he slowly start to drift off in his chair. Him and Ryder Turner sure get sleepy during Primary :)

Unknown said...

You know Luke had a great time with Jalen, the other day he was talking about his new friend Jalen. I wish you lived closer so they could play more often! I missed out for sure at Lake Powell. Hope things are going well!