I never could have imagined the experiences, challenges and rewards that come along with the title and responsibility of being "Mom". Everyday my little ones present different needs to be met, new attitudes to understand, stages to conquer, and find new ways to unravel my patience. Despite the challenges, the rewards that come from a genuine I love you mom, a moment of 3 children happily playing together, and even a simple accomplishment bring feelings and emotions that words can't describe. I am ever so grateful for my Precious Little Ones; for their individuality, talents, and the completeness each one contributes to the Cox Clan.

October 29, 2009

"Sparkle Student"





I recently went to parent teacher conference where I was informed from Mason's kindergarten teacher that Mason was the "Sparkle Student" for the week.  His teacher couldn't compliment Mason enough on being kind hearted, obedient, a good friend and leader, and an excellent student. I am so proud of him!

I have thoroughly enjoyed watching Mason these past few months. Kindergarten has changed him...mostly in good ways!  For example, he is so eager to get all ready in the morning, make his bed, brush teeth, wash his face, and ask what his "job" is for the day.  I never have to ask him twice to get things done.  I think he is discovering being independent and the satifisfaction that comes with it!

I can also see Mason's curiosity and mischevious side developing.  Not too long ago, Mason spent the afternoon at a friend's house.  That evening I asked what they did and if they had fun.  He got a cute little smirk on his face and smiled, saying "Yes, we had lots of fun. We got in trouble, too!"  Of course I needed more details at this point.  He went on to tell me that they threw rocks over his friend's fence and into the neighbor's backyard who happens to be a girl classmate of theirs.  He then said the dad was out in the back yard and so of course he saw and that's how they got in trouble.  However, Mason was not upset that they got caught, rather he had this very mischevious smile, like it was FUN doing something naughty and getting caught!  Of course I gave the whole, that wasn't a good choice talk, but really I was trying so hard not to smile myself.  I had never seen this side of Mason before! I kept thinking, this is only the beginning of little boys being boys.  It reminded me of the neighbor boys I grew up with.  All too often we found pranks at our house...gum and weeds on the door knob; a broken peach tree limb full of ripe peaches, bee bee guns firing at other neighbor boys, missing clothes pins from the clothes line, and rocks being thrown at the front door.  Although I would love having a very obedient, respectful, do-no-wrong kind of boy, the reality is that it's not going to happen! I simply must accept that boys will be boys, with a few "Sparkle" moments in between!

3 comments:

Jenna said...

That's great! I always love your posts. Mason is such a cutie. All your kids have sparkly, contagious smiles just like you!

Rebecca Barlow said...

That was such a cute entry. He is a cute boy! I love that his teacher calls him a "Sparkle" student. Fun!

peterson said...

What a cute boy Mason is. And I loved the story. So funny!