I never could have imagined the experiences, challenges and rewards that come along with the title and responsibility of being "Mom". Everyday my little ones present different needs to be met, new attitudes to understand, stages to conquer, and find new ways to unravel my patience. Despite the challenges, the rewards that come from a genuine I love you mom, a moment of 3 children happily playing together, and even a simple accomplishment bring feelings and emotions that words can't describe. I am ever so grateful for my Precious Little Ones; for their individuality, talents, and the completeness each one contributes to the Cox Clan.

August 9, 2008

June: Havasu Pie Falls

Alan was able to go with the varsity scout group from our ward to hike Havasu Pie Falls at the Grand Canyon. What an awesome experience! Alan said it was absolutely beautiful, the pictures just don’t do it justice. He hadn’t heard much about this hike before going, so when he got home all he could say was, “By far, my expectations were exceeded.” The week that he was to leave, I kept asking him how he was coming on his packing: First and for most, did he know what kind of food to take and did he have enough? What cooking utensils, bedding, and shoes, was he going to take. How heavy was his pack? You see, growing up I watched my dad pack and prepare for his backpacking trips…taking much time and thought into what he needed. I even went on a 3 day backpacking trip as a teenager and experienced the effort and planning it took to be prepared. I asked him how he planned to boil water for his cup of noodles. His response, “build a fire”. He didn’t believe me when I told him that you can’t have fires, in fact it is a huge no no to build fires. But Alan always had it “under control” so I decided it was better to stay out of it. When I dropped him off, I was excited for him and this neat adventure, but I have to admit, I was VERY nervous. I just prayed that he had everything he needed. On Saturday the kids and I were anticipating Alan’s arrival. When we heard the front door close, we knew that he had made it. After not hearing him walk out of the entry way, I decided to go make sure it was indeed Alan. As I turned the corner, there he stood…backpack still on his back, clothes and face filthy dirty, and an expression of utter pain. (I wish I had a camera!) I was worried at first, thinking something must have happened. Alan dropped his backpack to the floor and said, “I hurt so bad. I’m going upstairs to shower.” That’s all he could share at the moment. Overall, Alan had an amazing experience. Yes, there are some things he would do differently next time, but that is the point…there will be a next time. Every time he talks about this hike, he says, “Jennie, I’ve got to take you there!” We’re hoping to go next spring…any takers? We would love to have you come!






2 comments:

Gaven said...

"We’re hoping to go next spring…any takers? We would love to have you come!"

You bet! Just the other day Jake was telling me and Sharlene about Havasu Pie and we would love to go! If you're serious about planning a trip down there, we're serious about coming:) also, you got some sweet bloggin skills!

Shannon Morgan Photography - Bainbridge Island, WA Photographer said...

i wanna go!! those pics were amazing. we should seriously talk about it! ps, i so excited about your blog!! yeah, i get to see what you guys up to more often!!